We understand that every client has different needs and expectations of outcomes – therefore we have designed several tailor made services for you to choose from.
Let the Melbourne Garages team take the hassle away from being an Owner Builder.
- Melbourne Garages provide; necessary permits, supervision of building works, stormwater connections (if you prefer), rubbish removal, domestic building insurance (only where the project cost exceeds $16,000) and an onsite meeting once you decide to proceed to firm up costs and ensure we meet your expectations.
- Full Process – from permit application/s through to the final inspection.
- Peace of mind of having a registered builder managing every facet of the project, complete with relevant certifications and cover for all required insurances.
- Domestic Building Contract applies and we are bound by the conditions with clearly set amounts for payment structure. The contract only allows certain changes to the contract terms which may involve additional cost.
- We will quote the project specifically to your requirements after a site inspection.
This is the industry standard for quoting sheds, whereby you take on the project as an “owner builder”. This option provides significant cost savings over the Platinum Service and gives you the opportunity to do part of the required work yourself/engage trades of your choice. As the owner builder, you manage the project but we are always here to assist if needed.
- We offer a quote that includes the kit, permits and an estimation on concrete and construction so you can be sure the project fits your budget before you start.
- In regards to permit applications, we can still handle these on your behalf as an owner builder.
- Alternatively, we can release full structural engineering and regulation 126 to coincide with your final kit design, which will assist you in obtaining your own permits.
- As an owner builder you have choice of trades. If you require, we have full instruction manuals and Youtube videos that we can make available to assist in the build of your project.
- We supply the complete steel structure kit, including carports, sheds and barns delivered to your site and will check off the materials after delivery to make sure nothing is missing or damaged (subject to location of delivery).
- Upon completion of the build, you will be responsible for the stormwater connection, arranging any electrical work you require, rubbish removal and organising the final inspection.
A couple of things you need to be aware of are:
For projects in excess of $16,000 you will also need to apply for an Owner Builder’s Certificate of Consent issued by the Building Practitioners Board to submit with the building permit application. To complete this process, you are required to do the following:
- Successful completion of an Online Assessment
- Obtaining a White Card via an in-person course
- Completing an Application to become an Owner Builder.
We encourage you to determine if this service is suitable to you by looking at the requirements of this process through the following link: https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/owner-builders
Please also note the following:
Any building project which is constructed by an owner builder and where the property is subsequently sold within 6 ½ years of completion of the project will require:
- Where the total cost of the project was under $16,000, a building report prior to sale.
- Where the total cost of the project was above $16,000, a building report and owner builder’s “Home Warranty Insurance” for the remainder of the 6 ½ year period. This is a requirement under Section 137B of the Building Act 1993. See page 2 for more general information.
We will organise the complete kit to be delivered in full to your site. A set of instructions for your type of building, engineering & regulation 126 are provided as well as a link to the YouTube installation video.
The kit will be covered by the specific manufacturer’s warranties.